Saturday, June 19, 2010

Life's New Road Ahead...

Well, there is no denying it now. With school ending last Thursday and checking out of my classroom yesterday morning, that is a chapter that I have truly left behind.

The past 3 weeks have been spent doing some teaching, but a lot of cleaning out in my room, which has included giving things to colleagues, giving some things to my kids, packing some things, and throwing many things away. For now, teaching is something I'm going to leave behind.

Many have asked me, "Are you going to miss it?" That is a question with many answers. I will miss some things. I miss the satisfaction of a productive day, and I will definitely miss my colleagues and even a decent paycheck. But there are other things I won't miss, like disgruntled parents, meetings, and difficult kids.

It has not been an easy year. Two students in particular were extremely challenging and had a myriad of individual problems that caused a lot of disruption in a mainstream classroom of 32 students. We had a lot of district issues with funds being cut, 71 jobs lost (11 were rehired,) and a lot of division in the union these last few weeks.

This morning I filled out the unemployment insurance form for the first time in my life. That was weird. I'm officially unemployed. Wow. I haven't been financially dependent on someone else in nearly 20 years.

Honestly, I am extremely ready for a fresh start. I'm just lucky that there is one that awaits me.

Now that my classroom is bare and my keys are turned in, I can shift my focus to my house and the overwhelming task that lies ahead of packing it up and moving belongings, furniture, and pets 2 states away. A teacher at my school is interested in renting my house, but certain factors need to fall into place for that to happen. Several things are going to remain in limbo up until the time that Eric and I are married. Thank goodness for my future husband. He is my rock and my best friend.

On Tuesday I fly up to Washington, where we are going to drive through Vancouver, our future home. The sooner we get comfortable with the area, the better. The upcoming weekend will be spent in Seattle visiting friends (his best man and one of my bridesmaids.) I know that the 10 days I'm up north will go by very quickly.

Throughout everything that is happening, despite how overwhelming it can be, I'm very grateful for this new turn that my life is taking. With the right person at your side, anything is possible. I have definitely found the right person.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

That was wistful and hopeful and beautifully said. =)

Sally said...

Have fun in Vancouver! I love to see you so happy and excited. And I'm sending you good packing vibes. Packing up a house is one of the worst tasks there is, but I would love to see you do it. I could use some good packing tips from someone with your organizational skills.

Kristie said...

I wish I had as much confidence in me as you do, Sally! Never in a gazillion years did I think I would be packing up this house and I don't even know where to begin! "Overwhelming" doesn't even begin to describe it!

Karen said...

I'm with Sally - you'll have that process completely organized! Good luck! =)