Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Question of Talent...

Last night I turned on the Queen's Jubilee Concert ready to be entertained and what I saw was just a sad comment on our times.  It was a confirmation that many of our most famous and popular singers are not really singers at all, but "entertainers" (and I use that term generously.)  Weird, isn't it?  How do people like Britney Spears, Nicki Minaj, and others get famous when there are incredibly talented singers that have to beat the pavement, audition for shows like America's Got Talent, or set up YouTube channels just to get noticed?

Thank goodness for YouTube, which is literally the world's stage, where people can post videos of themselves and show their talents.  I never used to pay much attention to YouTube, but Eric has shown me what a resource it can be for looking up anything...ANYTHING.  (That's not always a good thing, of course, and, luckily, they do have some rules that need to be followed.)  And I have to give a shout-out to hosts like Ellen, too, who give the little guys a chance, because the talent out there is amazing.

Here are a few I ran across today:

Go the Distance, with Danny Fong


We Are Young, with Alex G and Jon D


The Edge of Glory, with Jake Coco and Alexandra Amor


And then we have the crazy talented Nick Pitera, who is kind of in a category by himself...


In my opinion, THIS is talent.  And I must say--pretty entertaining too!  (Especially Nick P, who somehow makes me jealous and uncomfortable at the same time.)

Have a great rest of the week, everyone!

2 comments:

Sally said...

I learned how to wire a subpanel on YouTube and grant learned how to make tortillas. It's awesome.

Kristie said...

Haha! I love it! Thanks, Sally!