Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chilling in Cali...

I'm really thrilled with the responses, both written and verbal, that my last post has received. Right now I'm in CA visiting my family and, last night at an "empty nesters" FHE that my mom attends, the sweet couple that runs it asked me to convey my thoughts about what it was like to have an Apostle at our stake conference. You would think that in a big place like Los Angeles the church leaders would visit all the time, but the members here have to take their turn just like everyone else in the rest of the world.

So far, it has been a nice trip. I arrived on Saturday afternoon to wind and rain. It almost made me feel like the airplane pilot had taken us in a complete circle. My mom picked me up and we headed straight to In n Out Burger, home of the Double Double and land of the fresh potato fries.

Sunday was church, and it was so nice to see some of my mom's friends, who embraced me and treated me like a long-lost niece. Some of them I've seen 3 days in a row already, with last night's FHE and the monthly "Ladies Who Lunch" today. We went to a cute place in Pasadena called Kathleen's. Good food, service, prices, and very clean. Just about all you could ask for.

Currently my mom and I are both scrambling to finish the book for her book club, which meets on Thursday. I'm a story person, which this is not, and I'm having a rough time feeling motivated.

In the short time I've been here, I've done a lot, including spending an afternoon with my cute 93 1/2 year old grandma, and a few hours with my niece and nephew. I love them all!

Coming up besides the book club is a sushi lunch with my mom and nephew, a day of babysitting, dinner with some high school friends on Friday night, and a few other things here and there. I'm hoping to make it to Disneyland on Saturday, but haven't solidified plans yet. We are having a family gathering on Sunday.

Again I count my blessings...for my husband's generosity as I take off for 2 weeks, my family in CA, and the love I feel in both of my homes.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Love that you get to enjoy your old stomping grounds for two weeks! Enjoy! =)