Friday, March 29, 2013

Adventures in California...

It isn't often that I spend only a week in California while visiting my family, but I did this time.  "Tuesday to Tuesday," was what I named this trip.  And a busy one it was, too!

Having my plane delayed nearly 2 hours on my departure day wasn't the best way to begin, but things smoothed out later.  On my first full day there I gave my mom her perm (I've been doing that since I was 12,) and we went out to dinner at one of our favorite places in Pasadena, Kathleen's.  Everything they make is so fresh!  Cobb salad with creme brulee for dessert...yum!

On Thursday we went to go and get my mom a new printer.  After 9 years, her previous one was finally beyond help, refusing to print for months and mocking us with this little light that kept blinking and refused to stop.  She got a wireless one, similar to the one Eric and I have, and it only took me 2 hours to install it instead of 3 like ours.  I call that progress!

Thursday nights is when my niece and nephew come to spend the night at my mom's house.  Both my brother and sis-in-law start work very early on Fridays, and it makes it easier for everyone.  We had dinner together, chicken and homemade mac 'n cheese, and veggies.  After dinner and bathtime was storytime, a staple in that house all through my growing-up years.

(All pictures can be viewed full size by clicking on them...)
"Abuelita" reading to the grandkids before bedtime...There's No Such Thing As A Dragon--a family favorite!

I caught this cute picture the next morning as the kids were waking up with their bed heads and sleepy eyes:
Good morning, sleepyheads!

And now...ready for school!

After we picked them up it was time to go to the nursery and buy some flowers for the pots in my mom's yard.  Little did we know that my niece was coming down with a cold.  Sick child equals cranky child, and she was asleep by the time we got back to the house.  A 3 hour nap helped.  Later that night my mom and I just collapsed after they got picked up.  They are fun, but a lot of work like most little ones!
Spring was just bursting with color at the local nursery!

I just love orchids. So beautiful and fascinating to behold.

Cute nephew in front of the little fountain

Self pic with my favorite boy!

On Saturday was the Steve Tyrell concert, the reason I was down there in the first place.  Eric and I had bought these amazing tickets for my mom's birthday back in October.  A dinner buffet was even included.  Our seats were in the 6th row and the show was incredibly enjoyable--one of the best concerts I think I've ever attended.  Steve had a great rapport with the audience, his songs were mostly old standards, and he has a cool easy-going way about him that just makes you relax and enjoy the music.

Sunday was church and relaxing.  Monday we went to the Norton Simon Art Museum for about 2 hours.  We have been going there for years and people who have been there will agree with me when I say that, for the size, it has probably the highest quality collection available.  All of the famous artists are there:  Rembrandt, Rafael, Boticelli, Degas, Pollock, Picasso, Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Gaugin, Fragonard, Van Gogh, Van Dyck, Klee...seriously, the list goes on and on.  I never get tired of going there and I always find something new that I never noticed before.
Iceland poppies outside the entrance of the Norton Simon.  I planted some in our front yard today!

Rodin's Burghers of Calais

Degas' Little Ballerina--I have a relief of this in my living room--with a Degas painting in the back on the left and a Monet on the right.  I love this museum!

Van Gogh's fiery tree.  Doesn't it look like it is moving? 

Renoir has always been my favorite.  I love his feathery brush strokes and the serenity of the faces.

Girl Writing a Love Letter--another favorite.  A canvas print of this painting hangs in my living room, and I love visiting the original.

The museum grounds, with sculptures by Henry Moore and Paul Klee.  Such a glorious, glorious place.

Monday night was my mom's Family Home Evening with some of the "empty nesters" from the ward, most of them close friends that I have known for nearly 30 years.  It was potluck night, so we noshed on lasagna, chili, salad, homemade bread, fruit, homemade candy....oh yum, everything was so good!

Tuesday morning was all about preparing to leave.  I cut it a little bit close with my bus to the airport, forgetting to make allowance for unforeseen Los Angeles traffic, but I made it in time, checked in and go through airport security relatively quickly.  The flight was uneventful, just the way it should be.

Eric was given extra work days, so my friend, Erin picked me up from the airport (I'm so grateful!)  I arrived home around 9pm back with my sweet husband, who was waiting up for me and ended up going to work the next day on about 5 hours of sleep.

The following morning I awoke early and rested, went to pick Bailey up at the kennel and went into "tornado mode" at the house getting everything into "Kristie's version" of "ship shape."

I'm glad I got to visit and I'm glad to be home.
It is days like this that really make me grateful to be back home.  This is the view half a block away from our house.  Is that gorgeous, or what?  I took this picture today while walking Bailey.  Home sweet home.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Wow! Our week did go fast, didn't it? We accomplished a lot for a short time...and had fun!