Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Everyone's sick...my laptop, me, my nephew, and my district...

Believe me when I tell you that my laptop has already shown signs that it needs to be repaired again. An update on Sunday required that I restart the computer and, when I did, the same old thing happened again, where the screen display was all stretched out. Of course, I knew this would happen eventually since the Geek Squad admitted that they had only run tests but had not done repairs.

My first instinct was to pack it up, get in my car, and go bowling for Geek Squadders, but cooler thoughts prevailed and I decided that, as long as the recent "work" is still under warranty and restarting the computer again solves the problem, I'm going to hang onto the laptop for a little while longer before I take it back in for another look.

The rest of the weekend was restful, if uneventful. I've been having a lot of fun reconnecting with more people on Facebook and making use of their live chat feature. The only thing I wish is that you could see who was online and be "offline" at the same time. Sometimes it is helpful to be incognito, if you know what I mean...

And my family is continuing to systematically empty out my grandparents' house. Everything has been divided up very fairly, but now, noticeable pieces of furniture have been taken, and it is kind of depressing. To think that when you die, your stuff just becomes "stuff." If that doesn't make one less materialistic, nothing will. I'm thrilled to have a couple of my grandma's pretty decorative tables in my house now, but it still feels kind of strange and wrong.

Yesterday was spent fighting an aggressive sore throat. It began on Sunday night and traces of it are still lingering today. Fortunately (if you could call it that,) it has been raining so much that yesterday the weather made me not want to go anywhere. On the plus side, my nephew was at my mom's house for several hours, but on the minus side, the little guy is experiencing his first cold. I guess not all firsts can be happy ones.

In other news, I found out today that my district is holding a meeting tomorrow for people who may be laid off. A friend who works on the district newsletter told me. But the administration didn't tell me and my union reps didn't tell me. I'm beginning to wonder if they even know. There are clearly some communication problems here. Still, I don't think I'm going to go even if I hear more about it. I'm still trying to stay optimistic that my hiring year won't be included, and the more I hear about the lay offs, the more stressed I get. And the truth is...no one knows what's going to happen yet, but I have to survive each day and not let my stress affect me in the classroom. So I'm operating under the "Ignorance is Bliss" policy. For now, that's working.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Yuck! Sorry to hear everyone (laptop and district included) is under the weather. Too bad there's not a cough drop for job and computer issues! Hang in there!

emmsifoppicus said...

"The only thing I wish is that you could see who was online and be "offline" at the same time. Sometimes it is helpful to be incognito, if you know what I mean..." Ditto!