Thursday, August 5, 2010

Two days left!!

Yes, two more days! I don't have a lot of time for a new post, as you can imagine, but I'll do a little updating.

First of all, I cannot believe that it is already Thursday. It was just Sunday night! That was a day that I was incredibly tired, but I sat on my bed at about 10:30pm with a bunch of sample reception time lines all fanned out in front of me. Getting that done was on my To Do list for that day and I still hadn't gotten to it. After reading through the samples, I hammered one out in about 30 minutes. Yesterday I mailed it to the manager of the banquet hall (Athena, she has been so awesome!) and copies to all of the most important people involved in the wedding.

On Monday, Eric came into town. His family had arrived the day before. I picked up his niece, Vanessa, who is 20, from their hotel in Pasadena, and we went to collect Eric from the airport. Then we drove out to Griffith Park to meet Eric's friends and groomsmen, Steve and Brady. Brady's wife works for Disney and was able to get 4 passes to Disneyland for Eric's family.

Tuesday was more errands. I had to be out of my house for 3 hours because a caravan of realtors with clients looking to lease a house were coming by. Same thing today, except I have to be out of the house for 4 hours this time! Tuesday was also this nail-biting phone call from EDD (our unemployment office.) They wanted to discuss why I haven't been looking for work, even though I've told them in 2 previous phone calls and a letter that I'm getting married and moving to Washington.

So, Eric and I went back to his hotel room and sat and chatted for 2 hours, the window of time I was told they would call....and nothing. They really get you by the throat because there is no way to reach them if they don't reach you. The window of time was 10-12. At 12:10, the lady called. She was very nice, but I was a wreck. Basically, my claim is suspended until I move and get settled in WA, then I can reopen it while I look for work there. It is very doubtful that I will return to teaching or even have a full time job, but I'll do whatever I have to do to get my $450/week for 6 months.

After the call, we went for sushi and then came back to my house to relax. We had sat down in front of the TV for 5 min when a realtor came by with a client to see my house. They are supposed to give us 2 hours notice, not 2 seconds. So I left them at the door for a moment while I put Bailey into the backyard and Eric and I took a walk. Never a dull moment!

Yesterday Eric and I drove out to Orange County to pick up my wedding dress. Don't worry, he didn't see it. :-) The lady I bought it from and runs a boutique out of her home has a room upstairs where she does all of her business. So Eric stayed downstairs and I did a final fitting. I must have dropped a couple of pounds, because it fit better than last time and the new length was perfect. I'm so thrilled with my wedding dress, and Donna Anderson, who runs A Dressy Occasion business for those of us who want modest, non-strapless dress is a life saver!!

The trip out to Orange County took all morning, because it is about an hour and a half each way. We stopped for lunch at Ruby's Diner on the way home and then hung out for a while at my house. Then a call came in that someone wanted to see the house at 6pm, then it was changed to 5:15. Dishes, tidying up, and putting Bailey outside again was rushed. We left and went back to the hotel and hung out with Eric's dad and niece by the pool, while his 6 year old nephew, Ashton, swam and swam. Then we had dinner at Acapulco, a local Mexican restaurant that I had never been to. Then home. Whew! Another long busy day.

Today I have to be out of the house again for the realtors. I also have to take some things to Athena at the Monrovian for her to have out at the reception. Some personalized napkins, the seating chart, and pictures of my grandparents that we are putting at a small "memorial table." Their absence has really been felt throughout the wedding planning process. I also have a facial at 1:00 and another realtor will be bringing a client to the house at 3pm. Any downtime I'll just spend in Eric's hotel room, although he won't be there. Steve and Brady wanted to have a "guys day" with him today. So they are kidnapping him around noon to pick up tuxes and go do "guy stuff." Who knows what that means? Eric promises me that I have nothing to worry about!

And, sometime this afternoon when I'm allowed back into my house I must start packing for the honeymoon, which will be here before we know it!

What a wild ride this week has been!

P.S. Things with the houses in WA are moving along fine. We are getting an appraisal on the house we want today. And the man that is buying Eric's house is keeping everything moving forward. And, get this, Eric's realtor is so nice that he even offered his own home--which is empty because he lives with his girlfriend--for Eric to stay in (rent free) for that 2 weeks between the time that his house closes and the one we are buying closes. (See if you understand that!) Anyway, it was a very generous offer. I have to say again that we have had some FANTASTIC people working for us. Eric's realtor, Larry, and all of my vendors for the wedding have been absolutely top notch. With everything going on, we have been very, very lucky.


Karen said...

Sounds busy and tiring but all in a good way. Seems like you've got a lot of interest in your house, too! Here's to the next two days going exactly as you have them planned!

Tricia said...

Yay! I love hearing how everything is coming together. Have a WONDERFUL wedding, Kristie. I wish I had the means to be there! I'll be thinking of you with a big smile.

Kristie said...

Thank you ladies! Things are definitely almost at the climax. However, I actually ended up with an evening alone tonight. It's quiet and peaceful, although I miss Eric, who is out having a guy's day with his groomsmen. Tomorrow, things pick up again!