Thursday, February 27, 2014

Clink! Went my ring... (and the not-so-secret Secret...)



This ring is similar to mine, but not identical. I think mine is pretty unique.
If you've seen my wedding ring, then you know it is very unique and very lovely.  (If you haven't, then just imagine a wide-banded, vintage-looking, but custom ring that is very unique and very lovely.)

This morning, while drying my hands in the restroom at the Portland Temple, it slid right off my finger and clinked its way to the floor!  Yikes.  This has never happened before.  I know we aren't supposed to get attached to material things, but my wedding ring is pretty much the most special piece of jewelry I own.  Not to mention that it took until I was 39 years old to even have a wedding ring.

In an instant of panic I remembered that I Love Lucy episode where she put her wedding ring into a balled up piece of tissue paper which Ricky threw away.  Next thing you know, they were digging through garbage trying to find it.

But, no, mine just clinked its way to the floor, nice as you please. It could've just as easily fell into the trash--with no sound at all.  What a thought!

Like I said, all of this happened in an instant--the clink, the realization of what happened, and the panicked "what ifs."

One other lady was in the restroom, an older, portly woman, who kindly said, "You must be losing weight!"

Still recovering, I said that, yes, I was.

As I made my way out, she asked me, "What's your weight-loss secret?"

I smiled, "Working out every single morning!"

THE NOT-SO-SECRET SECRET...

She gave me a look like Working out?  I don't want to have to do that.  

I so relate with this feeling, because the idea that the tried and true methods are what really work is frustrating.  After all, I rolled out of bed this morning at 5am, fed the dog, emptied the dishwasher, and then sweated downstairs for an hour with a Jillian Michaels video before driving down to the temple.

So the secret is that there is no secret.  I've known what to do all this time, it was just a matter of doing it.

Anyway, the rest of my day was lovely and busy, mixed in with some yucky traffic on the way to Portland, and quality time later on with Hubby.

But I will keep better tabs on my ring from now on! 





1 comment:

Tricia said...

I'm sure I would LOVE your ring. So glad you didn't lose it forever! (I lost mine at home and never ever did find out how. It just disappeared one afternoon...)

I love Jillian Michaels workouts. Somehow, they're just right for me. :)