Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Amazing Smart Board...

Last year we had the most interesting staff meeting I've ever attended when 2 teachers on our tech committee introduced us to Smart Boards, the interactive white board. Of the 30+ teachers at our school of 1,000 students, only about 7 of them received a Smart Board last year. But this week I'll be getting mine and I have renewed interest in them.

What is a Smart Board? It looks like a white board and can be used as one with marker, but it isn't a good idea. It also comes with 4 "smart" markers, which leave a colored digital image behind. You can also write with your finger if you like.

They come with software and are ideal for Power Point (although, computer savvy as I am, I have never learned how to do a Power Point presentation.)

They also come with a projector, which you can hook up to your laptop. When you project an image from the internet, your finger works as the mouse and you can do a lesson right on the board.

I'm a little nervous about the time it will take to get comfortable with the Smart Board and the tech committee hasn't scheduled any trainings for us yet, but I am pretty good at learning technological things on my own. I know that a big part of their attraction is their novelty. I'm counting on that when I get one, because I find that some kids are having more and more trouble paying attention simply because they lose interest.

It is sad, but true. Our kids go home to their iPods, video games, cell phones, and computers, which are much more interesting and interactive than school. I work in a disadvantaged neighborhood, but the kids still have all these things. I'm hoping that using the Smart Board once in a while will help renew kids' interest in school. Last year I saw a classroom demo in a friend's room where they use a Smart Board and the kids (2nd grade) were riveted.

Here are some demos I found on You Tube. They are pretty cool...

No comments: