Saturday, September 6, 2008

Back to School!

Yes, it's true. My very eventful summer is now a thing of the past. School is back in session.

This year I'm teaching 5th grade for the first time and, although I've always had a scary image of 5th and 6th graders, the fact that I've moved up with last year's students has made the transition very smooth. One of my colleagues asked me if I noticed a change in the kids' maturity from 4th to 5th grade and, actually, I have. I know that much of it can be attributed to the fact that the kids know me, they know that I have very strict standards for behavior, and they know that I don't put up with any funny business. Those who might normally try to push the teacher's buttons at the beginning already know that with me they won't get far.

There were a few surprises on my class list, however. Three kids I expected to see were not on it--one who moved away and 2 who wanted to try the year with a different teacher. (I used to take this very personally, but I've learned that this is quite common in my district.) More surprises came on the first day of school when my class list was revised again and 2 more kids were not on it. The other students said that they had moved away. The 5 kids who are gone have all been replaced with new ones, so my class is officially full at 32 students. If that sounds like a lot, it is! That is why good classroom management is essential.

We've already had 3 days of school and they have been very good and smooth with no problems. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!) I don't expect perfection, but after last year--one of the most challenging of my career--I feel like I deserve a break. Fortunately, the remaining students from last year who had some problems seem like they are sincerely trying to turn over a new leaf. That is one of the many benefits of looping (taking the same kids to the next grade.) It is like a do-over for everyone, myself included.

The kids who are new to our group all seem nice and hard-working, despite a range in abilities. The child I am most concerned about is a little boy who doesn't speak a word of English. I've tried my best to see if he understands directions, I've put him next to a child who speaks Spanish and can explain things to him, and I've tried to modify assignments, but I know that isn't enough. And, with 32 students and a very full curriculum, I haven't been able to give him any individual time. Soon, we'll start teaming with the grade level for ELD (English Language Development.) He'll get 30-45 minutes a day in English at a beginning level. But this is still going to be a challenging year for him.

Overall, though, I have high hopes for this year. I hope my instinct is correct! We have a new vice-principal that is already setting a very impressive tone and I feel like the stress level has diminished a little. My colleagues are still the best I've ever worked with and I'm settled into my lovely big classroom. So far, so good!

No comments: