Saturday, September 6, 2008

Long live The Duhks...



Some of my favorite musicians are those I discovered completely by accident. Enter The Duhks. I can't be sure, but I think I saw their debut CD at Borders, listened to a sample, and fell in love with it. That was in 2005, and I've been a devoted listener ever since. (Other happy accidents are the Indigo Girls and Madeline Peyroux.)

It's hard to describe The Duhks' music. It is a combination of bluegrass, folk, indie, jazz and rock. It is a Canadian quintet--3 guys, 2 girls--who sing with backups of fiddles, banjos, drums, guitars, tamborines, all producing a rich, unique sound.

Today I treated myself to a mani-pedi at the mall and went over to Borders with my 20% discount coupon. I remembered that The Duhks were due to have a new album out soon, their first with a new lead singer, Sarah Dugas, whose husky strong vocals are similar, but perhaps more hypnotic, to Jesse Havey. I have fallen in love with her vocals on the song This Fall, track 3 on their new album, Fast Paced World.

One of these days it would be fun to see them in person. I admire their originality as much as their music. You can go here and listen to some of their songs. Give a listen to This Fall. It is like being put into a trance.

Here are some of their best. I love this group!


No comments: