Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wow, this has been QUITE a week...

Anyone who said that "vacation" and "relax" are basically synonymous has not followed me around the last few days.

It's been a week of highs and lows and some unexpected adjustments.

I had to do something that I have, never, ever, in my life, done before, which was sever a friendship. I won't go into details, and that person may even stop by here, but it has been very hard. And trust me, this was not an easy decision. It has required a lot of strength and brought a lot of thought and tears, and yet I know it was the right thing to do. Still, that knowledge feels harsh, which lapses into guilt, but I still know it was right. What does Dumbledore say in Harry Potter? "The time will come when you must choose between what is right and what is easy." That is the choice I was faced with, and it definitely wasn't the easy one.

So, that has been a cloud that hung over me the last few days.

And with that, there has been so much else going on. I got my 1999 Honda CR-V back from the body shop today and now it is ready to be sold, although I won't get really assertive with that until I return from my trip to Utah in 3 weeks. $6000 if anyone is interested. There, that's my sales pitch for the day.

Yesterday I babysat my nephew from 9am until 7:45pm. I love that little guy, even though he is getting to the age where the refusal of things is the new fad. Didn't want to bathe (I got him to,) didn't want to get dressed or have his diaper changed (he did,) didn't want to eat (eh...he ate a little,) and didn't want to nap (I TRIED, and the best I could get was maybe 1/2 hour in the car.) Yep, he's a willful little boy, but still sweet and a lot of fun. His new thing (besides not wanting to do those basic things) is to JUMP. Everywhere he goes, he wants to either run there or jump there. It's pretty cute. I don't know where he finds the energy!!

There is also the constant hubbub of having painters in and out of the house from 7:20am until almost 5pm every day. And now I'm house-sitting for my mom, which means another dog and cat to look after, flowers to water, and mail to collect.

Today I went to my mom's house and ended up falling asleep in her room. I had gone to water, which I did, and keep her dog company a little, which I did, and I think knowing that I could completely relax there--with no painters--my body just gave in and I ended up sleeping for 2 solid hours.

Tomorrow will be another full day of painters, house-sitting, going to the car wash, and then driving out to Burbank to the Walt Disney Studios. I had some concert tickets for this Saturday which I cannot use, as I will be visiting a cousin in San Diego, and after days of trying, I finally found someone to take them at a reduced price (who works for Disney and I offered to drop them off.) Well, at least I'll only be losing $40 (ouch, that still feels like a lot) instead of $120--which IS a lot.

I'm glad that there are things to keep me busy, but not too busy. And little by little the cloud from the other day will lift and life will fall into a new pattern of normalcy. Live and learn, I guess.


Karen said...

Sorry to hear about the downside of your week. At least you have other things to keep you busy. I know I prefer staying busy over having too much time to sit and dwell on problems.

I can't believe we're going to see each other in less than 2 weeks!

Kristie said...

Well, I guess life wouldn't be life without its unexpected hiccups. Staying busy is definitely the way to go. And, YES, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!! We're going to have such fun! (Silly, Slook fun--the best kind!)

Sally said...

Sorry about the rotten choice you had to make. But at least good times are coming!!!! Hey, I saw Melanie this Sunday at church because she was also visiting her family. So my reunioning has already begun!