Monday, November 10, 2008

A Successful Antiquing Adventure...

Today, after our breakfast with my mom's friend, we finally got to do the sightseeing that our trip to San Juan Capistrano had been lacking. Ironically, we saw a lot, but didn't get far...

After checking out of the hotel we drove into town and weighed our options of possible dog-friendly places. Sometimes the places with the most crowded displays and breakable things are the most dog-friendly.

Across the street from where we parked we saw a place called the Old Barn Antiques. It had a warehouse look to it and was chock-full of things to peruse. When we arrived we were happy to find that dogs are very welcome. Little did we know that we would spend the next 2 1/2 hours there...

There is SO much to look at in this place--and it goes on and on and on for about half a block. Room after room filled with fascinating articles of the past--jewelry, furniture, dishes, kitchenware, Western gear, crystal, china, knick-knacks, and everything you can think of to furnish a house in vintage items. The stuff was all fabulous, but in that setting it takes a while to sift through everything and filter out what is useful and would work in your own home. My house is 90% furnished from estate and moving sales, but I never had to go through the quantity of what we saw today.

After 2+ hours, Bailey was getting pretty tired of being tugged around and I was very tired. I ended up with a lovely nativity and manger for $29 and a pair of Lenox Christmas candlesticks for $19. I have never had a decent nativity set. The one I bought doesn't look very expensive and has no manufacturing mark, but I like the detail and the fact it doesn't look "chintzy." My mom ended up with the real find--a nearly complete set of Johnson Brothers dishes for $80. They are lovely, and they really fit the style of her kitchen and her house, which was built in the 1940's.

After feeling very happy with our purchases, we loaded up the carefully packed items in the car and headed back to Pedro's, where I had lunch yesterday. Then we got in the car, fought heavy traffic for the next hour and arrived safely home.

1 comment:

emmsifoppicus said...

I love the "chintz" look :D I love antiques too :)