Monday, July 21, 2008

Movie Review: The Dark Knight

dark_knight_ver10.jpg Dark Knight big. image by x-killsmile-x

To continue that last post, I decided to see The Dark Knight instead of getting a manicure to sooth my sunburn pains...

I'm guessing that most people that go to see it are either big Batman fans or have a morbid curiosity to see Heath Ledger's performance. I'll admit that I'm somewhere in the middle. Partly I went because superhero movies are usually pretty fun, and partly I was curious about all of the hype surrounding Ledger's portrayal of the Joker.

So I'll answer the questions, in my own opinion, that people are asking about this movie:
  • How good is it? If I had to give it an overall grade within its genre only, maybe a B+
  • How good is it compared to all movies? Probably a C. Let's put it this way, I was looking at my watch a lot during the last half hour.
  • Heath Ledger's Joker is...? Frighteningly good. The hype was not overdone. The character is psycho, intense, sickly humorous, and mesmerizing to watch. To say that it is an Oscar-worthy perfomance is not an overstatement.
  • Favorite character? Jim Gordon was actually my favorite, but I'm biased because Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors. I like Christian Bale a lot too, and he makes an excellent Batman, but I wish he would tone down the intensity a little. Plus, that gravelly voice he uses whenever he's in the Batsuit makes me want to hurl cough drops at the screen.
  • How was the story? Weak. But you kind of expect that in a movie like this. The writers were lucky they got such excellent A-list actors, because only they could give the story a little credibility. But not much.
  • Overall impression: You won't remember the story much when you leave, but you will remember the characters and their performances. Aaron Eckhart did an impressive job as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Maggie Gyllenhaal--well, I've never liked her, she always seems very smug, so she did nothing for me here as Rachel Dawes, replacing Katie Holmes from Batman Begins.
  • Would you recommend it? As a summer super-hero movie, sure. But as a life-changing film that you have to see again and again? Probably not.
  • Final thoughts: This movie is definitely dark, intense, and violent. Personally, I think it borders on an R-rating, because of the extreme intensity of almost all of the characters and because much of the violence--even implied violence that you don't actually see--could be quite disturbing to younger kids. A lot of younger kids are going to see it (let's be realistic) and all they are going to take away from it are the visual images, which are often scary.


No comments: