Thursday, July 31, 2008

Unbelievable...

My grandma, who we've always called Tita, passed away last night at 10:45pm.

It doesn't seem possible because we were at her house on Sunday visiting and looking at pictures from the family reunion my mom and I attended.

Early the next morning she had a massive stroke while asleep and never regained consciousness.

The people in the room were my Uncle Beto and his girlfriend, my Uncle Ruben and Aunt Alicia, my mom, and me (the eldest grandchild.)

It was peaceful and quiet and we just watched the numbers on the monitors decrease. We could almost feel my grandpa--who passed in March of this year--there in the room ready to take her back with him. She always said that she didn't want to live long after he went--they were married 66 years--and I guess she got her wish.

For the rest of us, we've still been adjusting to not having my grandpa around, but we had more preparation because his decline was very gradual. Losing my grandma over a period of 3 days has blindsided us a little.

Today we begin preparations, which are going to be a duplicate of what we did in March for my grandpa. The picture above was from Father's Day when we went and visited my grandpa's grave. Ironically, my mom and I bought the plot next to it and finish paying for it today.

The really sad part is that my grandma's younger sister didn't get a chance to say goodbye to her. She flies in this afternoon. There were originally 4 sisters, and now there is only one left. The picture on the right shows them: My Aunt Berta (sister #2,) Aunt Hortensia (eldest,) my great grandma Mercedes, Luz (#3, my grandma,) and my Aunt Merce.

Well, I need to go and start the day. It's going to be a busy one.

1 comment:

Bryan G. said...

Kristie, I am very sorry about your loss. My prayers are with you and your family at this time.

Bryan