Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Podcasts, pasta, and... the Amish? Oh my...

After hemming and hawing for weeks, I decided to buy a plane ticket to El Paso, TX so I can attend my family reunion in Mexico in 2 weeks. I've been looking forward to it for months and, now that I've been home for the summer, the thought of leaving home so soon feels a little overwhelming. In my heart, though, I know that I would feel awful if I wasn't there.

The traveling part is not your typical "point-A-to-point-B" kind of thing. It involves flying from LA to El Paso (about 2 hours,) taking a 6-hour bus ride to Chihuahua, Mexico, and then another 3-hour ride to Guerrero, Mexico. Guerrero is a small, charming town where in the outskirts lies Casa Blanca, a ranch that has been in my mom's family since the late 1700's. (yes you read that correct) It is at Casa Blanca that the reunion, called Amayada (Amaya is the family name,) will take place.

All of my issues are really MY issues. I have found myself focusing on the negative things like the traveling when I know that the positives far outweigh them. I don't know why. I think I was giving myself an excuse to be lazy and not go. If I could only twitch my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and get there, I go in a blink. If only...

One of my issues--I know it sounds really ridiculous--is just being cut off from everything (by that I mean the internet!) for 8 days. Yes, I'll be in comfy homes staying with wonderful relatives, but for me, not being able to email and blog, etc., is like being a contestant on Survivor. Sad, isn't it? Really, really sad.

So, like a little kid packing up their toys for a trip, I've been preparing myself. Man, it feels dunb even when I write about it! But, yes, I've been downloading a bunch of podcasts to keep me in touch with what's comfortable. I even put several movies on my ZUNE player to keep me entertained on the bus or in the car for those long trips. No reading in the car for me. It makes me ill.

Tonight I went to Olive Garden with a friend and while listening to the latest episode of Mugglecast in the car, the Mugglecasters said that they are putting out a new Twilight podcast called Imprint. There's only one episode out so far, but there will be another before my trip. I also found 2 other Twilight podcasts, one called Fire and Ice and another called Beautiful Monsters. I hope they're good, because the Mugglecasters have spoiled me with their shows.

So, yes, I'm not thinking about which clothes I'll pack, the liquids I'll have to keep under 3 ounces, or even freaking out over my scary passport picture. I'm packing my entertainment--my books, my music, my podcasts, my Palm Treo. How sad am I? I've embraced the digital age. Maybe a little too tightly. You don't realize how much some of these "conveniences" become a part of us until the prospect of having to do without them for a few days becomes a huge inconvenience.

A week ago I was having dinner with my mom and we were watching a documentary on the Amish. There is something truly beautiful in the simplicity in which they live. Is it weird that I found myself coveting their lifestyle?

No comments: