Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Day of Intense Teaching and a Night of Intense Tiredness...


I'm actually so tired right now that I'm practically walking into walls, but I'm happy with the day. I felt like I taught, taught, taught, with no down time at all. We're teaming for ELD (English Language Development,) which means that for the first 40 minutes of the day I only have about 1/2 my class. Another group of kids come from the room next door. Their language level is what determines their group.

It is taking a lot more day-to-day preparation than I am used to. Usually, most of my energy goes into teaching, not planning, because so many things are pre-planned within the programs.

For the rest of the day I was still very "on." We talked about story structure, summaries, verbs, content vocabulary, common factors, and greatest common factors.

On top of that, I forgot my lunch box, which was fully packed with a hearty lunch, but left behind on the kitchen floor next to the fridge. I was not in the mood to deal with mysterious cafeteria food. I called my mom and she was nice enough to drive the 10 miles and bring it to me. It also gave her a chance to see our Smartboard in action. Like anyone seeing it for the first time, she was astounded.

Our productive day ended with me pretty tired , but one of my good friends had asked if I was free in the afternoon to give her a little tutorial on the Smartboard. We worked with it for an hour. My next door neighbor joined us for a while.

I arrived home just thankful to be home. It was hot today and we all worked very hard. Still, it is a good kind of tired. When I compare my tiredness to last year's--which was marred by the numerous behavior problems--this year's tiredness is one that is OK.

No comments: