Wednesday, October 22, 2008

INSOMNIA: The Musical

You would think that after teaching for 12 years and having to deal with a 5:30am wake-up time I would learn how to get my body on a schedule. Usually I'm really good about falling asleep at a decent hour (and I am, naturally, a morning person,) but once in a while, Night-Owl Kristie takes over.

Last night I absolutely could not fall asleep. This is the 3rd time this has happened this year and it is horrible. I lay there and the hours click by and I'm wide awake. Sometimes I can even take a sleeping pill and it will do nothing. I try to avoid taking them. I'm worried that someone will find my lifeless body days later if I take them too often...

So I decided at 2am that I had to call in sick. I do consider being sleepless a kind of sick. The more tired I get in my sleepless state, the more I start coughing, getting a sore throat, and getting achy all over. My job requires 110%, and if I know I can't be at the top of my game, then that's a problem and everyone suffers. Clearly, going to work with 3 hours sleep would create such a problem. Fortunately, I saw on the online sub site that my absence had been filled by a sub I have confidence in.

This morning I caught up on the sleep I should've enjoyed last night and woke up at 9--a very late time for me. Then I went on the karaoke site and did some singing, which I find very relaxing. And now I'm going to try to salvage what is left of this day and take my car in for some much needed service. Still, I hated having to take a sick day for sleep.

THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE

I MADE IT THROUGH THE RAIN

I WRITE THE SONGS

WEEKEND IN NEW ENGLAND

Somehow, it turned into an homage to Barry...

No comments: