Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dimes in the Hamper

This is the bottom of my hamper.

It all started one day weeks ago when I was doing laundry and discovered 1 dime at the bottom of the hamper. Apparently it had fallen out of a pocket. Probably change from the Coke machine at school.

In a moment of complete apathy, I left it there.

Several days later, another dime appeared at the bottom. Amused, and still not remembering ever getting a dime in change from the Coke machine, or anywhere else, I left it there too.

A couple of weeks later, yes, you guessed it, another dime lay at the bottom of the hamper.

A philosophical person might say that this is some sort of metaphor--that treasure appears where you least expect it.

A crazy person might think that some sort of wacky Dime Fairy has been secretly visiting my house and leaving dimes behind to test my sanity and rate my reaction.

A miserly person might look at the situation in a bemused but optimistic way, hoping that the dimes will continue to multiply, perhaps even evolving into coins with more value, like quarters, or dare we say, silver dollars. There could be a possible fortune at the heart of this mystery.

As for me, I have some philosophical days, I consider myself to be quite sane, and few people would characterize me as miserly.

I am, however, intrigued with the dimes at the bottom of the hamper. If nothing else, they motivate me to do laundry *slightly* more often.