Sunday, March 23, 2014

More Fitbit: My First "Cheat" Meal--Was it worth it?

Yesterday was interesting!  I messed up on calories at dinner for the first time.  I'll get to that in a moment.

Let's focus on the positive.  I got this Fitbit badge yesterday!
Not bad for the first week.  I wasn't even expecting this one, but, yay!

My left knee was still bothering me a little bit, so I decided to do the Jane Fonda Walkout for my morning's exercise.  Afterwards I went for a walk outside on a cold, but beautiful, morning.  (Great weather is just around the corner!  We can hardly wait!)

Actually, I went for that extra walk because I had a hair appointment coming up and I knew I'd be sitting for almost 2 hours.

Breakfast:  A smoothie with 2 bananas, 2 oz blueberries, and 16 oz homemade almond milk

Lunch:  PBJ (or is that an ABJ?) with 2 pieces of Dave's Killer Bread (The Good Seed,) 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp organic raspberry jam

Hubby and I went some friends' garage sale and then wondered how else to enjoy the amazing weather.  We decided to take a drive to Toutle, WA with Mount St. Helens as our view.

40 miles later we were hungry.  It was around 3pm. We pulled into Parker's Steakhouse in Castle Rock.  And the dilemma began...

Let me back up for a moment and say that the day before yesterday I broke a "decade" on my weight loss--one that I haven't seen for ages.  The scale said 1_9.4 (the "_" is to give me little privacy.)  And yesterday the scale said 1_9.0!  I really didn't want to mess that up.

So, we're in Parker's and I'm looking at the menu.  Sandwich?  Salad?  What to do?

It's only one meal.

I have 950 calories left for today.  The meal I order won't be more than than...probably.

I'll walk it off when I get home.  

I'll get back on track tomorrow.

I won't eat the whole thing.

My metabolism must be faster after all of the hard work I've been doing, right?

Don't obsess!

These are all of the things that were going on in my head.  Like I said, I have a bad relationship with food.  Or is it that food has a bad relationship with me?  

Then Hubby ordered this:

Their famous seafood fondue.  Parker's famous appetizer.(Yes, I made the picture small on purpose.)   And I had some.  (So much for no dairy!) Maybe 1/3 of the bread.

Then I ordered their Luau chicken sandwich and a side salad.  The sandwich had boiled chicken, ham, Swiss cheese, lettuce, mayo and pineapple--which I didn't get.  Oh yes, and fries.

It was huge.

I enjoyed my salad, guilt-free. (It is so nice to eat guilt-free!)  I picked at a few fries, the first fries I've had in weeks.  Ate half of the sandwich and it was wonderfully yummy.

Now, in the past I would've eaten everything on that plate and hunger would've been a non-issue.  I'm really trying to not do that anymore.  I was full and I didn't want to bring the other half of the sandwich home.  I opened it up and picked at the remaining chicken and ham.  OK, done.

We love our lake.  I know I say that all the time, but look at it!  I took this picture yesterday.
When we got home I went for another walk around the neighborhood and around part of our nearby lake.  Really, the day was just too beautiful to stay inside.  I also wanted to hit 15,000 steps.  As far as that meal I had just downed..well...I wasn't really sure how to count it except to give it all 950 remaining calories and start fresh with better choices the next day.

Above is my activity chart from yesterday.  The Walkout and then an outside walk are shown in the morning.  The middle green is from walking the doggie.  The green around 6pm was walking after that meal.

The plan this morning (Sunday) was to not weigh myself, but I was curious.  I knew I would go up.  Meals like yesterday's stick to me.  They always have...

And....I was at exactly the same weight this morning as I was yesterday!  No changes up or down.

Was it worth it? Not really.  Progress is more gratifying than that meal.

Did I obsess too much over what to order?  Maybe.  It would've been a lot easier if I had stuck with something lighter.  And look at the work I had to do just to maintain yesterday's numbers.

It was a good lesson, though. 



P.S.  Another Fitbit recruit!  I was telling my hair stylist about it yesterday because she is interested, and the stylist at the station next to us was listening in.  She decided to go get a Fitbit after work.  :-)




1 comment:

MOM said...

This was a good blog to help all of us that faces these choices. I know about that feeling...you want to eat it...but you know it can cause regrets. My lunch today was sort of like that...should I eat more than 1/3 of that TJ's pizza? I started w/a cut-up tomato, green salad, and a bunch of broccoli, so I wouldn't be so hungry..then I ate just a teeny bit over the 1/3 I'd allotted myself. Didn't blow it too bad, and I feel okay about it...really wanted more of this new pizza TJ's just came out with...my body needed all the greens more!