Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Homemade Tomato/Vegetable Bisque Recipe

I have invented exactly 3 recipes--very simple.  All of them were invented in the last 6 months!

Thinking about the way I've been eating lately, I realized that the only real processed food that I hadn't weeded out is canned soup.  Progresso's Chicken Corn Chowder is so stinkin' good!

And then the lightbulb went off.  How about trying to make my own soup?  Something different than Mom's Chicken Soup (still fab) that would be great for lunches or as a side dish.

Voila'...

Today's lunch: my soup, 5 organic crackers, water, and a banana
It was really, really good!  It is tomato-based, so keep that in mind.

Recipe:

1 14.5oz can of petite diced tomatoes

1 8oz can of tomato sauce

1 sliced zucchini

1/2 onion sliced

1/2 cup baby carrots

2 cups of water

10 petite white mushrooms, diced

Garlic salt and Montreal steak seasoning, to taste

Instructions:  Put everything but the mushrooms into the blender and blend until smooth (I did 90 seconds on the "blend" setting, because having a few veggie chunks is OK.)

Combine mixture and the diced mushrooms into a pot and boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.  Add the salt and pepper while simmering.  Serve!  Makes about 7 cups of soup.

I'm estimating about 50 calories per 1/2 cup. Maybe less!

The nice thing is that there are no preservatives or things that you can't pronounce.  That's a great feeling!  And it's hearty.  Bon appetite!  


2 comments:

MOM said...

This sounds wonderful! It's also a good stepping off point for adding other veggies! Must try!

Kristie said...

Agreed! I wish I had added corn!