Sunday, June 1, 2008

Blasts from the Past....


Last night I went to retirement party for a former colleague at my first 1st school. It was a little surreal seeing some teachers that I hadn't seen since I left in 2002. Fortunately, the ones who were there are the ones I wanted to see, because this school was very, very clique-ish and had a lot of internal politics.

What I also realized is how much I've changed. I was one of the youngest teachers there when I was there, and it is a little intimidating to be in that spot. Last night, however, I was surprised at how not intimidated I was. So much has happened in these 6 years and I've done a lot more growing up too. It was interesting and unexpected.

We all had fun catching up and the food was great--ribs, noodles, chicken, casseroles, beans, brownies, pie, and cake. Our hosts, Aurora and her husband, Ely, did a great job. It was nice to see these people in a stress-free atmosphere, because when I left that school (thanks to a horrible principal 30% of the staff left that year) it was under very different circumstances. I kind of thought that seeing some of the colleagues would bring back some of those memories, but it didn't. After all, they weren't responsible for the way things were back then. And despite the fact that I was only at the school for 6 years, I've known many of them since the mid 1980's because they were my mother's co-workers long before they were mine. It was a really nice time. And then, to end the evening, I had to come home and work on report cards!

No comments: