Saturday, June 7, 2008

Reflections on America--from my perspective...

I don't really consider myself a highly political person, but it is hard not to be with the way things are right now in the US.

Between the end of the Democratic Primaries, gas and food prices through the roof, homes depreciating and foreclosing, joblessness, and the impending November election (not to mention Scott McClellan out there ruffling feathers) it has been a colorful last few months.

My thoughts? Well, there is no doubt that the US is in severe, and I mean SEVERE crisis at the moment. For the first time, I'm very conscious of my personal demographic: single-middle-class- professional-home-owner-female-educator. If I wanted to, I could pick apart every bit of that and go into how each of those groups are being affected by the economy and the current administration. Which, by the way, STINKS.

I, like many others, find myself more aware of my food and, of course, gas spendings. The gas prices are unbelievable. Remember when anything nearing $2.00 seemed expensive? Talk about the "good ol' days!" The gas stations have never been the happiest places, but now there is an all-out air of solemnity and hopelessness, not to mention everyone's collective goal of getting out of there as soon as possible. Naturally, this affects everything we do, and with the summer coming up and people, including myself, making vacation plans? Sheesh. I'm even letting my Disneyland Annual pass expire completely for the first time in about 10 years. Why? Because transportation alone costs about $25-$30 in gas! Now, if the park lowered their prices, I'd reconsider, but those have been going up longer than the gas prices...

And now food prices are going up and up. It actually makes me glad I'm single. For the first time, it seems like eating out and eating processed food might help you save money, because all of the fresh meats and produce continue to rise in prices. (As America gets fatter and fatter...)
I even saw a political cartoon that alluded to the possibility that the gas/food price increase was an attempt to take our minds off of Iraq and Bush's other multiple blunders. Interesting idea.

Bottom line? America is in the toilet.

I come from a family of mostly Democrats, but parties aside, it still boggles my mind that Bush (Or as I call him: The Moronic Idiot) was voted into office twice. (It also boggles my mind that he has degrees from Yale and Harvard. Thanks, Daddy, right?) He has run this country into the ground and will surely go down in history as the worst president of all time. Joblessness is up to 5.5%, as of yesterday. The highest in history. The last time it was almost this high was in 1986. Remember who was president then? (Do the words "daily naps" "Star Wars" and "Iran Contra" ring a bell?)

So this is W's legacy. Ugh.And now one more of his own people has turned on him, which I think is hilarious and very well-deserved. Sure, former press secretary Scott McClellan might now be the #1 pariah in the Republican party, but his timing sure made for some laughter among the rest of us. hehehe...

(Really, I'm not a political person, but I feel like I spend of lot of time writing about fun things, and I wanted to share some political thoughts so that it goes on the record that I do have them...)

So, the Democratic Primaries: OK, I admit it. I wanted Hillary to win. I know that the Clintons are not the squeakiest-clean couple, but let's face it, America flourished in every way when Bill was in the White House. (And plus-sized girls everywhere were seen in a new light...)

The other day I went to the White House web site for the first time in my life. (http://www.whitehouse.gov/) Now I don't know who does the writing for this website, but in what is an attempt to be neutral, it is obvious from the Clinton and G.W. Bush biographies that there are some plain facts that cannot be ignored. Bottom line? Despite "Monicagate," Bill Clinton still comes out smelling like a rose, even on the White House page. Just take a look at the wording. Clinton's bio is all about what DID happen, and Bush's bio uses words like "hopes" "has taken steps to" "looks forward to.." Yeah, those words do not translate into results.

And, yes, I know that Hillary is not Bill, but I wanted Bill back in the White House, even if he was only the "First Laddie." And I want a woman president. I think she would've done a very capable job. And heck? We've got 3rd world countries that have broken through the gender barriers before we have and it's time for a woman in the White House. It's time. Frankly, Hillary and Obama have a lot of similar thoughts on change for the nation (I'm sure they would disagree,) so I personally think that a lot of Democrats were basing their primary votes on gender, race, experience, political history (which may have hurt Hillary,) sensitivity towards the other candidates (which probably also hurt Hillary,) and anti-Bush-and-anything-associated-with-him sentiments (which probably helped them both.)

But let's take a look at these two. Who would America be ready for first? A black man or a woman? In my heart of hearts I knew that Obama would win. History predicted it. Despite tireless efforts for 50 years by Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton back in the late 1800's, early 1900's, black men got the vote before white women. I really see this as a continuation of that time in history. But, OK, it's progress, and that is what counts. And McCain? That would pretty much be the opposite of progress. And he's got his work cut out for him. Would you want Bush's endorsement? Me neither!
So now it is all about the running mates. Hey, wouldn't it be funny if Obama picked Hillary and McCain picked Condoleezza Rice? Just picture that for a moment...

We'll find out in a few weeks who picks who. I heard that McCain might wait to see what Obama does and if Obama picks a male running mate, McCain may pick a woman to balance the scales. I seriously doubt he will, though. Judging by his wife's age, looks, and demeanor, he seems to like women to take a back seat to himself. Laura Bush Part 2. Just my humble opinion....

Part of me thinks that Hillary should not be Obama's running mate. Today we're expecting her concession speech and it just seems to me that going from 5 months of scratching each other's eyes out to smiles and endorsements is a little too politically schizophrenic for my taste. I'm not sure the American people would buy it...

So let's see what happens. It's a fiery race to the White House, that's for sure. All I know is that we have got to see some positive changes in this country. We've gone from being the standard and envy of others to the laughing-stock. And with good reason:


EIGHT YEARS!?! It brings new meaning to the phrase: "EIGHT IS ENOUGH," doesn't it? (Wouldn't that make a great bumper sticker?) What I'm sure of is this: our country needs to be saved, changed, uplifted and the needs of everyone that have been forgotten these past 8 years attended to--STAT.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"let's face it, America flourished in every way when Bill was in the White House. (And plus-sized girls everywhere were seen in a new light...)"

LOVE IT! lol Yay for plus-sized girls!

I wanted Hillary to win too, you voiced my opinions perfectly, thanks so much!

I'm not sure if Hillary should be his running mate either, but then I think I 'll hold off on that until I see the possible candidates :)

I've never been super political myself, and like your family most of my family are Democrats, but I have to admit that since I turned 18 (a couple years ago) ;) I have felt tremendous pride that I get to voice my opinions, and vote, but to be really honest I didn't actually think in my lifetime that I would ever see a Woman, or an African American Man in the running, this is an exciting, and scary time, jobs, gas, food, war, you name it, but one thing is for certain America will never be the same....

Once again, a great blog!

Your faithful reader, and friend,
Missy....

Kristie said...

Thanks, Missy! What can I say? I have had a lot on my mind lately. Why let others have all the fun?

Anonymous said...

Wow - a long rant - but a perfectly justified rant. I know a lot of Americans online on a forum, and we compared gas prices for US and UK, the UK's is much higher - but both are rising beyond belief! My household's weekly shopping bill has soared over the last two months - from £100 (there are five of us, and food wasn't cheap here anyway) to £120!!! And that's basics! - Veg, meat, bread, milk, jam and butter, beans a pizza, plus a few more - no luxuries, all the supermarket branded produce!!!! It's scary. It really is. From september, i will be better off, as you say, paying for your food, and only yours, as i will be at uni.

I saw on the news yesterday the riots and truck slowdowns on the motorways in various countries - it's all going crazy!

Emma x

Kristie said...

Well, it is comforting to know that we're not alone in our misery, but I wouldn't wish these rising prices on anyone!

Anonymous said...

My family always eats Sunday lunch together & this was our exact conversation today! At least to an extent. I can't wait to get somebody new in office!! I was actually flip~flopping on who I wanted on the ticket..Obama or Hillary...I like them both, but in the end I found myself voting for Obama.

The conversation at our house was a little strained though...most of us are not Bush supporters...but my oldest sister has always like him. We have yet to understand why. So she always has a hard time with our political rants. I am not usually into politics much, I would just keep up enough to know what was going and who I wanted to vote for. But with the way Bush has run things, it has forced me to become "political" At least at this time. Lord knows, I don't want another 8 years, like the last 8 years!!

Great Blog!!
~Emily~

Kristie said...

Thanks, Emily! I think we're all forced to be more politically conscious these days because we're seeing Washington's decisions trickle down into our own lives like never before. I know that is the way I feel, anyway.

We have a couple of Bush supporters in my family too, and we just agree to disagree. It came up last night at my cousin's party because Bush was the keynote speaker at the Air Force Academy graduation. My cousin got to shake his hand and even asked him to smile and wave up at my aunt and uncle for a picture.

But me? CAN'T STAND HIM. Can't even watch him on TV. To each their own I guess. That is what America is built on!