Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hometown Tales--because every town has one...


OK, so since I got the Zune player working, I've been introduced to the wonderful world of podcasts. Don't worry, I didn't know what a podcast was until about 2 weeks ago.

Basically they are shows or clips--either audio or video--that you can download onto your computer and watch in your computer's media player or
put into your iPod or Zune, or whatever Mp3 player you might have. You can subscribe to them, so that whenever you connect your player to your computer the latest episodes download automatically. I prefer to pick and choose.

When I bought my Zune player I had to download the Zune software and thus saw the "podcast" section. They are awesome. Some are clips of shows that we all know, like NATURE from PBS, The Simpsons, Oprah, Ellen, and many others, and some are shows that are podcasts only.

I discovered this great show called Hometown Tales, which is put out by these 2 guys, Brian and Gene, from New Jersey. Who knew that New Jersey could be so dang interesting? It is when you listen to these guys talk. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Unsolved Mysteries and History Detectives. They talk about history, ghosts, urban legends, and even strange subcultures. The other day I listened to a half hour show about roller derby girls in New Jersey. Boring? I thought it would be, but they do such a great job that I was a captive audience the whole time.

(Gene and Brian--my new HT buds)


It is one more fun little feature to discover--a
nd one that is free and always changing and updated--on the Zune player and its site. Very cool!

I now know what a pork roll is and all about the New Jersey Devil! (and roller derby girls, turkeys flying into windows, Cheeseburger Friday, the Krishna chant, pale ales....all sorts of useless and interesting stuff!)

No comments: