Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Morning After...

I slept deeply last night, worn out by what happened with Bailey and that other dog. I hope that the dog is being humanely treated (if my assessment is correct and he was taken away by the police.) If they take him to the local human society I know he will be, even if they decide to put him down, because that is where I adopted Bailey, and the two animal control officers who run it are very nice and caring towards the dogs and cats there.

Mainly I thought about everything that happened because I wanted to go over my reaction and make sure I wasn't over dramatizing. I don't want to wish, gulp, death, to another animal unless it is really deserved. I've never wished for another dog to be put down before. And the weird thing is that the other dog was never vicious in behavior. He never growled or bared his teeth. One second he was calm and the next he was on top of Bailey with his teeth on his throat. It was the first image that came into my head this morning when I woke up, which helped me rationalize that, yes, that dog does need to be put down. Still, I feel guilty thinking that.

Bailey seems to be doing OK. His eyes are not nearly as bloodshot as last night, but I notice that he is very stiff when he stands up. He may have a few bruises from being thrashed around on the cement sidewalk for what seemed like an eternity, but what was probably 2-3 minutes.

I still can't believe what happened.

No comments: