Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hi ho the merry-o, a reading we will go...

Once in a while this strange thing happens to me where a topic will come at me from completely different and random directions. This happened today.

This morning I was visiting the blog of my former college roommate, Gail, and she was talking about the book, Twilight, of which I had never heard. An hour later I was in the car on the way to work listening to the podcast, Mugglecast, and the young people on that show brought up the Twilight series. Weird....

Clearly I was meant to give this series a looksie. Although it sounds suspiciously like the Buffy/Angel relationship on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the author insists in an interview I just watched on amazon.com that the idea came to her and she has never seen an episode of Buffy. The Mugglecasters seem to agree that Harry Potter fans either have a love-or-hate relationship with the Twilight series. I'm sure that Harry Potter fans everywhere are searching (with a discerning eye) for a new series to latch onto and call their own.

Could Twilight be the one? I'm going to give it a try. My copy of the book should arrive in the mail on Thursday. Good way to start the summer, with a new book...

Of course I'm also simultaneously reading:



Atonement, by Ian McEwan
(Excellent writing so far, even though I saw the film twice and know what happens...)










Home, by Julie Andrews
(Love her! Got to meet her! A fascinating read.)











The Umbrella Man, by Roald Dahl
(It's very simple. I will not leave this earth until I know I've read every word he has written. My favorite author since I was 9.)










And, even though I devoured this book 2 years ago in a couple of days, listening to Mugglecast inspired me to revisit...













And now I want to throw this one in the mix? I must be crazy! But, hey, it is summer, and that is the big reading time of the year for me. During the school year I'm just too exhausted to commit to a novel. I hope I'm not disappointed!

No comments: