Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dumbledore Out and About...

In my effort to make use of all things available on the Zune player, I've been shopping around on the Zune software site for other podcasts to listen to. Enter--Mugglecast--a weekly 75-90 minute discussion by a group of young 20-somethings on all things Harry Potter.

Like most Harry Potter fans, I finished the series last year after Deathly Hallows was released, but also like most avid fans, I am always interested in what others have to say about the series. That is one of the best things about it, that the characters and their respective backstories are all so rich that the speculations and possibilities are endless.

The small group of "mugglecasters" are very knowledgeable about each book and have intelligent and witty discussions that are both entertaining and informative. I learned that they are related to one of the premier Harry Potter sites that I have visited often-- Mugglenet.com.

After listening to 3 of their most recent episodes (and you do not have to have a Zune or an iPod to do so, just go to the site and download an episode onto your computer or read a transcript) I decided to email them a question. It was a lame one that I knew that had probably been covered when the news was new, but I was curious about their take on the whole "Dumbledore is gay" revelation that J.K. Rowling announced back on October 2007. Mugglecaster Andrew Sims quickly responded back to me and gave me the link to Episode #117 when that topic was discussed on the show.

For anyone who is a Harry Potter fan--of the books, films or both--this is a great episode. Some of the content is PG-13, but it is very interesting. Listeners wrote in with their own opinions about the news and the mugglecasters responded with their ideas. And, since it is such a hot topic associated with religion, about which Harry Potter is often scrutinized, they talk about that too.

Want to listen? Click below...

Mugglecast Episode #117: Another Keg of Butterbeer

P.S. My new copy of Twilight arrived in the mail today. Let's see what all the noise is about this series. I hope being a Buffy fan doesn't skew my opinion...

No comments: