Friday, August 21, 2009

Greetings from Solvang...

This little 3 day/ 2 night trip to Solvang is exactly what I needed before going back to school. And we've done so much walking today! We left out hotel this morning around 10am and returned at about 8:45pm tonight. Most places close around 5:30pm, but a few places stay open until 7, 8, or 9pm.

We did find the GEM of places here, which has eaten up most of our shopping time (and money.) The Solvang Antiques Center. Oh...my....gosh. That place is gorgeous, and the employees are so nice and generous with their time. They specialize in clocks--mostly grandfather clocks--and music boxes. The music boxes are mostly cylinder music boxes, and they are beautiful. But there are also plenty of other things, everyday things that function in the home like tables and chairs, bureaus, mirrors, and cabinets.

The owners are retiring after 30-some years in business, and nearly everything is reduced. I found a chair there for my living room. I've been needing a chair to replace this rickety little rattan straight-back chair that I've had with a hole in bottom. The hole is covered with a cushion, but it isn't very comfortable.

This is what I found:
1870's, American, walnut. Very comfortable, which means functional, which is what I wanted. It will be one of the first things you see when you come in the front door, and it's upholstered back adds to the loveliness. I would much rather have something unique and special than something mass-produced. I'm happy to welcome this chair into my house. We're picking it up tomorrow afternoon on our way out of town.

We have become comfortable acquaintances with the wife, Julie, who is one of the current owners, and she has been so wonderful about explaining things and being very generous with her time.

Tonight we went in and heard this amazing violin and piano music. It was coming from this UNBELIEVABLE music box that had a real violin in it and the workings of a piano. It was gorgeous to see and to hear. Just a mere $65,000 on sale, in case you're interested!
Julie, the owner, and the "virtuouso" music box with both piano and violin. See the violin? Click to see full-sized.

I got a video of this cool, unusual music box:

4 comments:

Karen said...

That chair is beautiful, Kristie! And from what I've seen of your home from your blog, it's a perfect addition!

Kristie said...

Thanks, Slook! I'm excited to pick it up today.

Tricia said...

A woman after my own heart. I love old chairs! I have a few favorites in my home, too. Solvang is a fun place, isn't it. Did you have those donut things? Yum.

Kristie said...

Thanks, Trish! No, I didn't have one of those things, they just looked so rich, but I'm sure they're very good! Maybe next time!