Saturday, August 1, 2009

Interesting (but good) day!

It is always good to do things out of the norm, out of our comfort zone, and today was one of those days.

Back at the end of October of last year I ran into a girl named Bernadette that I had known in 1st and 2nd grade. She was on my street, campaigning for Obama. A couple of days later I ran into her again at the polls on Election Day, and then attended her birthday party. A few months passed and we made plans to go to lunch today with another girl, Michelle, who was also from our classes in elementary school (for the 1.5 years I went to Catholic school!)

So today Bernie and I drove out to Canyon Country and caught up and talked a blue streak during the hour-long drive. We had a nice lunch at CPK with Michelle and another mutual friend that I just met today.
Me, Michelle, Bernie, classmates in 1977!

The CPK was at a strip mall with a cool pond with ducks, some sailboat-like-structures coming out of the water, and a neat sculpture in the background of a flock of birds taking flight. As always, click on the pictures to see them full-sized...

This morning, before even getting picked up to go to lunch, I finally drove my 1999 Honda Cr-V to the neighborhood's "unofficial used car lot," which is the street in front of a local elementary school. I don't know how this got started, but every weekend people who want to sell their cars park them along the front of the school yard in this one place. It has been going on for years, and you just get used to turning your head in that direction when you pass the school, which is on a busy street, to see what's available.

When I came home from lunch, there was a message on my machine from someone who was interested in the car, but wanted to pa only about 55% of what I was asking....ummm...no. The car had already been out there for about 7 hours and that was the only message regarding it when I got home, which was a little discouraging.

But...a little while later I got another call from a man who was there looking at it with his wife. I got my mom to come with me to go and talk to him, his wife has been wanting a Cr-V since they came out (and, funnily enough, she liked that older body style the best) and we took a test drive. She loved it, they had no plans to haggle, she gave me a decent down payment, and the sale is in the works. Wow, that was surprisingly easy! Of course, it is a Honda--a great car, with a lot of life left in it...

And now we're babysitting my nephew and will cap the day off with some sushi.

Good day!

No comments: